Featured Post

INTRODUCTION TO GRIEVING CREATIVELY BLOG

Friday, August 26, 2022

A CREATIVE GRAVE STONE


There could be dozens of reasons why a grave marker doesn't make it to the grave.  Most often, it takes time to get a standard head stone carved and placed at the grave site.  Until that happens,  most often the funeral home places a temporary marker until the family can make arrangements to have a more permanent piece placed that honours the one that has passed away.  

There could be dozens of reasons why a grave marker of any kind didn't make it on her headstone.  It is not up to me to come up with an explanation as to why her grave was bare.  Her husband had passed away decades ago, and his stone was there with space for her name and dates.  That space may be filled in time, but for now, there is nothing and it bothered me.  I have been there a few times already since her burial, and have brought her flowers and tried my best each time to colour up the mound of dirt that remains.  However, I am troubled by the lack of a name.  She deserves to be remembered there.  

I found a flat stone in my Mom's rock pile on the farm.  I took it home and got out some mini markers and coloured her name on the face with the years she lived.  I didn't want the rain to wash away the colouring, so I sprayed a clear coat as a finishing.  

The day I brought it to the cemetery, was her son's birthday.  It seemed significant that I was able to honour both mother and son on the same day.  

The simple rock as a grave marker is an attractive art piece for me.  I like the creativity and the simplicity of a nature carved stone.  The piece is timeless and has been a part of the earth as all humans are.  I guess there is a purpose to manufactured clean cut headstones.  I am not opposed to them.  It is just a different way to be creative.  I am just partial to the natural touch.  

I just had a thought.  What if instead of manufactured grave stones, what marked the graves of loved ones were multiple expressions of creativity from family and friends.  Imagine the whole plot covered with stones or mementos that came from a creative heart, not from a factory.  It's just a thought, not any intent to put a whole industry out of business.  

What makes something creative is that it is unique.  It doesn't have to be the norm.  The norm is there for a lot of reasons. But the creative is like that special wildflower that blooms in a field of red roses.  It doesn't take away from the beauty of the roses, but just adds a special fragrant gift in the already beautiful.  

"The song is ended but the melody lingers on." — Irving Berlin


 

No comments:

Post a Comment