Featured Post

INTRODUCTION TO GRIEVING CREATIVELY BLOG

Thursday, August 18, 2022

SHE STILL GETS FLOWERS


 "I like your flowers better."  are words I remember coming from my Mama  Bernice after I shared a visit with her and her granddaughter.  I had brought her flowers from my garden as was my regular gift to her, and her granddaughter brought her a plant bought at a store.  Both gifts were given out of great love, but because the flowers I brought came from my garden and not Safeway, they reached a special place in her heart.  

Mama Bernice has been a special lady in my life for forty years.  I met her when I was a lonely fourteen year old.  Her story is long and one I have written about, so I won't share too many details here.  I met her in 1982 and she became family in 1988 when her son married my sister.  It is hard to quantify what she meant to me in a blog post.  I think even in my own reflective space, I can't even come to a full understanding of who she was to me.  

When Covid hit, I was not allowed in her facility to see her.  This was not easy on either of us.  The last time I would see her in person was in 2019 and she just passed away in April of 2022.  BUT... that didn't stop my flowers.  I made special bouquets during the summer and brought them to her residence.  I was told that they brought a smile to her face and she knew who they came from.  

When she passed away, I chose not to go to the funeral.  I was given a link to watch it live, and watched it on my computer while I was at my mother's house not that far away from the activities.  There were a lot of reasons I didn't feel comfortable going to the funeral.  I don't need to list them all here.  I did get a chance to take some lilacs out to the grave after every one else had gone.  My mom has a shelter belt of lilacs so there were lots of blooms to pick from.  I filled up a bucket and went to the grave.  I stuck the lilacs in the dirt mound that remained.  It brought a fresh spring look to a rather desolate grave.  

I have been back since to visit my Mama Bernice's resting place.  Once I went by and I wasn't prepared with blooms from my garden, so I walked the perimeter of the grave yard and found something amid the wild weeds.  I didn't want to leave without at least a simple botanical offering of sorts.  

This week, I clipped another mix of flower blossoms from my garden - sweet peas, roses, lilies anything I found blooming and filled another container.  I brought a bouquet that my sister-in-law gave me and put that at the head, while I spread the container of colours over the remainder of her grave (see above picture).  

Grieving creatively really means connecting more personally with the loved one that is gone.   Finding a special place, finding something that is just about the griever and the grief and being unique in that grief, brings so much meaning into the journey. 

I could have done the funeral and graveside, for Mama Bernice, as so many did, but when it came to decide, I felt like my grief and sadness would have been lost in every one else's grief and sadness.  I understand the need for some to have a corporate grief ceremony.  It's not that I want to discourage it, it just isn't enough.  I need to carve out time, a place and memories that are just about me and my loved one.  In my grief and loss, I need to matter too.  

“There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.” — Mahatma Ghandi


No comments:

Post a Comment