Featured Post

INTRODUCTION TO GRIEVING CREATIVELY BLOG

Saturday, August 27, 2022

GRIEVING FOR STRANGERS


My husband and I have very different tastes when it comes to our Youtube videos and channels.  He likes cars, BBQ and bushcraft and I tend to gravitate towards philosophy,  people's journeys and music flashbacks.  But we have a couple of channels that we like to watch together -  Camping with Steve is one of them. 

Steve Wallis is an Edmontonian and for us that means doing what we love... supporting local people.  His camping expeditions are far from professional or advisory, but they are stealthy and fun and his recent milestone of one million subscribers tells me that there are a lot of people that like that kind of entertainment. 

This past weekend, Steve's wife, Jess died suddenly.  His video  Rest in Peace My Beautiful Wife Youtube Video  came out this week where he shared the news with his subscribers.  After perusing some of the 68,000 comments, he was adored by so many people.  

The emotions around this house were heavy.  When something happens to someone else, even through that person is unknown to me, it's hard for me not to personalize the possibility.  I felt for my hubby who went there too.  "It happened to Steve, it could happen to me."  That is a very different take from "It always happens to someone else." 

How can I separate the pain of the possibility for myself, and extend compassion for the person who is actually in pain?   That is a continuing question every time I hear another news story.  This time I have an answer.  Steve requested that if we as fans want to do something that we can support our local food banks and homeless shelters,  because that is what Jess did.  

The Food Bank is our favourite charity.  Like I said... we like to support local.  So that is what I am going to do.  I haven't done a food bank shopping trip for a while largely because of the pandemic, but it is one of my favourite pastimes.  I like going to the grocery store and going up and down the aisles and getting supplies that I can in turn bring to the Food Bank.  I have requested the same for the time when others need to do something to remember me.  It will be a joy to do this for Jess.  

I found one comment on the Youtube video that stuck out for me.  It sums up my feelings and my husband's feelings this week.  

"never been so sad for someone i've never met"  A Steve Wallis fan


No comments:

Post a Comment